We all struggle with our confidence at times in life, and this can sometimes be what helps us grow. However, if you suffer with low self-worth or imposter syndrome, it can cause blocks to success in many areas of your life. This is why people often come to me for Success Mindset Coaching.
How you perceive yourself and your ability to succeed, depends on the core beliefs you hold deep down about yourself. Henry Ford’s quote, “whether you believe you can or you can’t, you’re right”, demonstrates this very accurately.
But our beliefs are not always so easy to read on the surface. We might have a very clear “conscious” belief that we deserve success, love and financial freedom, but subconsciously hold a belief that we don’t, or that we can’t achieve it.
This is what is meant by a “core belief”. And if it’s a limiting one, it can stop you from achieving the things you want in different areas of your life. If you tend to sabotage yourself and your goals, or fall into negative patterns of behaviour just as you’re getting to where you want to be, you may have a limiting core belief that is blocking you from success.
What is a Success Mindset?
As a teacher for 10 years in secondary schools, I learnt a lot about the power of a “growth mindset”. It was often easy to tell which students would achieve their goals and which would need extra support, by their resilience to failure and belief in their ability to learn.
An interesting study by Educational Psychologists Rosenthal and Jacobson, showed that the beliefs that teachers had about their students also had an affect on the performance of that child.
But not everyone has been lucky enough to have parents and teachers who have taught them to believe in themselves. If you’ve struggled with low confidence or self-esteem issues, your default can be what Carol Dweck (the expert who coined these terms) calls a “fixed mindset”, that holds you back. And trust me, I know how that feels!
Whatever it is that you want to achieve, a limiting belief can have the power to block you from your goals. Whether it’s a desire to lose weight, find a romantic relationship, quit an addiction or get your dream job. Limiting beliefs can crop up in any area of your life.
Limiting core beliefs can look or feel like:
- Beliefs that you’re not good enough, worthy or deserving
- Fears around failure, getting things wrong or making mistakes
- A perception that people will judge you negatively
- Beliefs or fears that you are stupid or that people will think that you are
- A sense that you are different (in a bad way), or that there is something wrong or broken about you
- Feeling that you are destined to fail no matter how hard you try
- Believing that you are deeply unloveable, or in some way bad inside
How Can Your Limiting Beliefs be Holding You Back From Success?
Having a limiting belief is a bit like having an internal thermostat. No matter how hard you try, your subconscious will do everything possible to keep the “temperature” to a certain level.
This is why you might find yourself sabotaging yourself just as you’re about to succeed. If you’ve ever found yourself clamming up in an interview even through you prepared great answers to all the questions, or turning into a gibbering wreck on a date, you’ll know what this feels like.
Self-sabotage can take many forms and can sometimes show up as:
- Procrastination, lethargy or inertia
- Anxiety, panic or phobic symptoms
- Forgetting important tasks and details or misplacing important things last minute
- Making excuses or avoiding certain situations or people for no real reason
- Overwhelm, depressive symptoms, wanting to give up
- Faking illness or even feeling ill when nothing is really wrong
- Suddenly wanting to end a relationship, leave a job, move home or even country
- Self-destructive behaviours, acting out of anger or saying unnecessary hurtful things
- Falling into addictive behaviours such as drinking, drugs, gambling, acting out sexually etc
- Overspending, getting into debt, not being able to hold down a job
- Having low aspirations, accepting poor behaviour or abuse
- Lying, cheating or otherwise damaging a relationship
- Going against your gut instinct or doing something when you know the outcome will be negative
- Sometimes even (in extreme cases), having or causing an accident or injury
How Success Mindset Coaching Could Help You
In our first session, we’ll explore what limiting beliefs might be holding you back, and any early life experiences that might be causing these. You may have developed protective beliefs to avoid feeling hurt or humiliated because of things that have happened in the past.
By identifying these situations and beliefs that may have formed around them, we can start to release them and build new and healthy ideas.
Using NLP and Hypnosis techniques, we’ll begin the process of helping you unlearn these beliefs and build in new positive ways to think and feel about yourself.
I strongly believe (in fact I know), that everyone has the power to achieve whatever they want in life, regardless of the start you were given. Human beings are incredible creatures, capable of incredible things. The only thing holding you back is you, and the sky truly is the limit.
By helping you tap into your unique qualities and find the path that’s right for you, I can help you align your life with the core values you want and live the life you always dreamed of.
No dream is too big, and no person is too small to achieve it.
If you think that you could benefit from Success Mindset Coaching, you can book a free 30 minute consultation below.
Together we’ll get you to where you want to be and begin living and loving life as the best possible you!
Book a Free Telephone Consultation to Discuss Success Mindset Coaching