How To Overcome Money Blocks
How to Get Rid of Money Blocks This Year
Do you want to start the new year with a fresh outlook on success and money?
Learning the technicalities of saving and investing is one way to go. But sometimes, even when we know what we should be doing, we find that we still don’t do it. We don’t have a savings account, we don’t stick to our budget, we spend too much on a night out…
So, what’s the deal here?
Well, we’re not always as rational as we wish to be. Our psychology, traumas, fears, past experiences and how we were raised play a huge part in how we behave with money. This is all normal. Everyone has their financial struggles. Yes, even rich people!
Let’s dive deeper into this issue. Stick around to learn more about why you might be struggling with money and how to get rid of subconscious money blocks!
What Is a Scarcity Mindset?
It’s a belief that you don’t have enough and that you will never have enough. That you are not enough. When you live with a scarcity mindset, you see the world as lacking in money, resources, connection, love, friendship or anything else. People like this focus on what they don’t have and usually suffer with anxiety as a result. And it’s no wonder. When you feel like you can never be, do or have enough, you’re bound to be unhappy and worry constantly.
So, even though the scarcity mindset includes much more than just finances, the focus of this post is on money blocks. They're a variety of beliefs, thoughts and feelings that prevent us from growing financially. We can clear money blocks once we understand them.
Most Common Money Blocks
We can have money blocks when we want to get out of debt, start saving, ask for a raise or start our own business. To help you specify which is the one you might be struggling with, I created a list of the most common ones:
- Having limiting beliefs. “Earning money is hard” or “I’m always broke.” Beliefs like this will stop you from seeing or accepting opportunities that could lead you to earning more money. You simply won’t believe that good stuff is possible for you.
- Negative self-talk can be a huge barrier to your financial success. It will stop you from even trying! “I’m so bad with money” or “I don’t deserve to get paid more” are good examples of sentences that you should purge from your mind.
- Demonising money means that you view money as something bad or evil. Now, if this is the case for you, what does it mean if you want more money? It means that you are or will be a bad person. Of course, this has nothing to do with reality. Both rich and poor people can be bad. Or good! And having money doesn’t automatically make you a bad person. You can detect this issue by looking out for phrases like: “Rich people are rotten” or “Money brings the worst out of people.”
- Strong emotions and holding grudges against people who’ve had a lot or too little money can really hurt your relationship with finances. If you had either rich or poor parents who neglected you, this might be the issue for you. Having parents who cared more about money than you or parents who never bothered to earn enough money even for decent clothing can really hurt. For some, this can be a deep trauma.
- Beating yourself up for money mistakes. So, maybe you messed up with money in the past. You got into debt, gambled the money away, made the wrong investment… Whatever it is, you just can’t let it go. Holding on to your financial errors likely means that you’re stuck in fear of making another mistake. Learning to forgive yourself and accepting what was can truly free you up.
- Fear of finances. So many people are too scared to even look at their accounts and track their spending. There can be plenty of reasons behind it, but let’s just say it – ignoring your spending won’t make it go away! Avoiding handling your finances can only make things worse. Getting to the root cause and gathering courage is the way to go with this one.
How to Clear Money Blocks and Live Abundantly
I shared my story with you here because I wanted to show you how our childhood and our family influences how we view money. And how we use it. Understanding where your blocks are coming from is a huge step towards getting rid of them. Then you can work on healing your inner child and soothing your fears.
Everything is easier when your inner child is healed and taken care of. Then you can lead your financial life from a place of trust and safety.
So, you can begin by asking yourself: what happened in my childhood that made me feel this way about money? Take some time to reflect on this and write it down. You may be surprised at what you find!
The easiest option to clear your money blocks is to work with a certified therapist or psychologist. He or she can lead you safely through your past and subconscious as well as help you with difficult emotions. As a certified hypnotherapist, I can also provide guidance and support on your journey to financial wellbeing. If you wish to know more, feel free to contact me.